Over the years, there’s been a significant increase in the number of emails impersonating Internode, which may contain fraudulent links or attachments. These types of scam emails usually attempt to steal your Internode account information or credit card details, which is known as “phishing”.
Here’s some info to help you avoid being hooked by these phishing scams.
If you receive a suspicious email
- Do not reply to the email.
- Do not call any phone numbers in the email.
- Do not click any links or open any attachments.
- Just report, then delete.
Reporting scam emails
What to watch out for
While some scam emails look dodgy just at a glance, others can look incredibly similar to legitimate emails. Here’s some tips to help you spot a fake:
- If an email asks for bank/credit card details, passwords or other personal information, be suspicious. Internode will never ask for your personal information via email. If necessary, we may ask you to update your details in My Internode, our secure online customer portal.
- Always check the full email address of the sender to see if it’s legitimate. Here you can see a sender has named themselves “Internode Support” but the email address isn’t “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
- By hovering your mouse over a link, you can see the full URL without having to click it. Here you can see that “Login To Your Account” doesn’t link to “https://secure.internode.on.net/myinternode/sys0/login” as you’d expect.
- If you’d like to test your spotting skills, check out the Phishing Quiz from Jigsaw, a Google company that builds technology to tackle some of the toughest global security challenges facing the world today.
Concerned about your Internode account?
Scam emails can be distressing as they often use fear tactics to make you panic so you don’t think before you act. Remember these two tips to make sure you’re getting information from the right sources.
- You can check your account online by logging into My Internode. The login button is also on every page of our website.
- All of our official contact information is listed on the Contact page of our website.
For more information about online safety, please visit our Customer Security page on our website.